Research Project: TOT - Tourism of Things for Smart Destinations
The aim of the ToT project is to apply the concept of Smart City to the tourism sector, something completely new. The objective is the application of a wide range of services for both tourism professionals (destination management bodies and tourism companies) and tourists themselves. In short, ToT is positioned as the groundwork for tourist destination service infrastructure of the future. Implementation of the project will provide opportunities for the creation of new companies which can then use the ToT infrastructure to develop new services based on the intensive use of data and the infrastructure provided by the smart destinations themselves.
The main objective of the ToT project is to create a new concept based on experience, destination, service and tourism product: Smart Destination, Sentient Destination, Aware Destination.
The specific objectives of the ToT project are:
- To achieve a better understanding of the realities of tourism through the use of new information and communication technologies. In this way destinations can obtain valuable information about how tourists behave in a given environment. The aim is to collect data that would otherwise be impossible to obtain via conventional research methods and analyze them to draw conclusions on new models of tourism segmentation and behavior patterns.
- To analyze tourist itineraries in a destination by using a range of technologies such as CMOS cameras, sensors and mobile geolocation systems.
- To analyze tourist consumption in a specific destination, recreating tourist movement in the destination, finding out the itineraries followed and evaluating the tourist profile for each tourism asset visited.
- To improve tourism strategies and boost the competitiveness of a destination by improving the selection of services available and the holiday experience.
- To provide tourists with information on the cultural heritage of a destination, by developing interactive games based on a combination of augmented reality geo-positioning technologies.
The main R&D+i activities involved in the project are:
- To develop an infrastructure that will deploy the concept of Smart Destination based on the concept of The Internet of Things.
- To develop a platform based on cloud computing architecture, integrated in the Smart Destination infrastructure, which will contain all of the services provided by ToT. This platform will integrate all of the different components of the ToT architecture: ERP information of hotels, information from Smart Destination sensors, tourism services, etc.
- To develop a data taxonomy based on linked data that will ensure interoperability of all of data contained in the platform, and the scalability of the platform to integrate it with other destinations.
- To develop an application platform (APaaS) that will make it possible to create services and applications used on ToT but which, due to the semantic structure of the data, will be interoperable with other platforms and can be integrated with other systems.
- To develop advanced mobile services based on geolocation that use the Smart Destinations infrastructure, in line with the blueprint for safe tourism, and which make it possible to monitor travelers and tourists. This infrastructure will include a network of CMOS sensors connected to the system via al PLC technology (Power Lines Communication), as well as DPTs and NFC tags, which make it possible to monitor tourists in a specific destination, analyzing their behavior while offering them new services based on geo-positioning and context.
- To study tourist behavior patterns and mobility in a destination.
Official project number
Status and date of completion